Have fun with these Rainbow Cupcakes
Have some fun with these rainbow cupcakes.
This easy cupcake recipe starts with a cake mix and is topped with an easy homemade frosting. Great cupcakes for kids to help make, let them create their own individual colorful cupcakes.
Typical rainbow colors are red, violet, orange, yellow, green and blue. Use as many or as few different colors as you like. You can mix basic colors to create even more bright colors for this recipe for cupcakes. Here’s how:
- To make Orange, add red and yellow (more yellow than red).
- To make Strawberry, add red and yellow (more red than yellow).
- To make Lime Green, add yellow and green (more green than yellow).
- To make Chartreuse, add yellow and green (more yellow than green).
- To make Violet, add blue and red (more blue than red).
You can vary the tint of the rainbow cupcakes frosting depending on the flavor of gelatin you use. Strawberry, lime, blueberry, orange and lemon are but a few of the choices.
Dazzle your family and friends with these multicolored tasty treats.
Yield: 16 cupcakes
- 1 package (18.5 ounces) moist white cake mixOil, water and eggs as directed on cake mix
- Assorted food coloring
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry, blueberry or lime flavored gelatin
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 container (8 ounces) whipped topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with 16 paper or foil cupcake liners.
2. Prepare cake batter as directed for cupcakes. Divide the batter between 3 small bowls. Tint each bowl of batter, or if you prefer, leave one plain. Color the batter by mixing in 1 drop of food coloring at a time, stirring well after each addition, until the desired color is reached.
3. Using a different spoon for each color of batter, layer a spoonful of each color into each cupcake liner until 1/2 full. Depending on the size spoon you are using, it may take about 4 to 5 spoons of batter. The colors can be in any order and any amount you like.
4. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
5. To make frosting, in a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the gelatin and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside.
6. In a medium bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add the gelatin and mix until combined. Gently stir in whipped topping until blended. Refrigerate until chilled. Spread frosting on cupcakes. Store frosted cupcakes in refrigerator.
Return to How to make Cupcakes
Return from Rainbow Cupcakes to Easy Baking Recipes