Italian Coffee Cake
Good for special occasions, this Italian coffee cake is dense and moist. An easy make ahead recipe for busy schedules, it tastes even better as it sits and the flavors meld.
Baked goods that are homemade are always good for giving to others. Perfect for a coffee cake gift, from open houses to welcoming new neighbors, for holiday food gifts or serving to guests, this coffee cake will be a welcome treat.
An easy coffee cake receipe, it is filled with walnuts and has a hint of rum. A simple dusting of confectioner’s sugar is all this cake needs to finish it off.
So delicious it tastes like a dessert, serve this recipe for coffee cake at your next brunch, afternoon social or even after dinner with coffee or espresso.
To store this Italian coffee cake, wrap it in plastic wrap after it has completely cooled. When tightly wrapped, it will stay fresh and moist for four to five days.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2-1/4 cups finely ground shelled walnuts, resembling meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Confectioner’s sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter and sprinkle flour all over it, shaking the pan well to get a thin, even coating. Bang the pan once to dislodge excess flour and discard flour.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter with the sugar. When the butter and sugar are well creamed and very soft and smooth, add the egg, rum, lemon zest, vanilla and the baking powder. Mix well. Add the walnuts, a little at a time, and continue to mix. When all the walnuts are in, add the flour, a little at a time, from a sifter or sieve. This will keep the batter from lumping. The batter will be dense.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, spreading it evenly with a spatula to make the top level. Place the coffee cake in the top part of the oven.
4. Bake the coffee cake for 1 hour, or until it is firm to the touch. Remove from oven and carefully turn it out of the pan to cool on a wire rack. Just before serving, sprinkle confectioner’s sugar all over the top.
Italian Coffee Cake is just one of our easy coffee cake recipes. Find them all here.
Return to Easy Baking Recipes