Fresh Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Learn how to make pumpkin pie from start to finish with this fresh pumpkin pie recipe.
This homemade pumpkin pie recipe takes you through each step, from how to cook pumpkin to making the pumpkin pie crust and filling.
In this fresh pumpkin pie recipe, beating the egg whites separately and adding them to the filling makes this pie especially light and fluffy.
How to cook fresh pumpkin:
To bake fresh pumpkin for pumpkin pie, purchase a small cooking pumpkin that weighs about 2-1/2 pounds. Wash the pumpkin, and cut in half cross-wise. Place halves, cut side down, on a cookie sheet or jellyroll pan lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven and let cool. When pumpkin is cool enough to handle, peel the pumpkin and remove seeds. Puree pumpkin pulp in a food processor or mash thoroughly with a fork or potato masher. Yield will be about 2-1/4 cups mashed pumpkin.
Fresh Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Pumpkin Pie Crust
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter
- 2-1/2 tablespoons very cold shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (about 1/4 cup) ice water
- 2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin, cooled
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Whipped cream for topping, optional
1. Make the pie crust. Place the flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix. Dice the cold butter. Add the butter and shortening to flour mixture. Pulse 6 to 10 times, until the butter is the size of peas. With the machine running, pour the ice water (ice removed) down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough just begins to form a ball. Dump the dough out onto a floured surface and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. On a well-floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a circle 1/8-inch thick, rolling from the center to the edge, turning and flouring the dough to make sure it doesn't stick. Fold the dough in half, place in the pie pan, and unfold to fit the pan, being careful not to tear or stretch the dough. Trim off excess pastry along edges. Fold edges under and crimp. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to fill.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, butter, egg yolks, spices and salt. With mixer on medium speed, beat until light and fluffy. Add evaporated milk. Beat just until blended. Set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour filling into pie crust.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce oven heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and cool. Serve with dollops of whipped cream, if desired.
Return to Easy Pie Recipes
Return from Fresh Pumpkin Pie Recipe to Home