Make an Easy Red Velvet Cake with this enhanced cake mix recipe
Make an Easy Red Velvet Cake with this enhanced cake mix recipe.
The addition of buttermilk makes this moist red velvet cake taste like homemade.
A quick and easy dessert, this easy red velvet cake is especially tasty with easy homemade cream cheese frosting. To make your cake look even more festive, cover the top and sides with coconut and pecans.
When making this homemade red velvet cake recipe, be careful with the red food coloring as it will stain your clothes, hands and plastic bowls.
Easy Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 bottles (1 ounce each) red food coloring
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
Pecans, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease and lightly flour bottoms and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, add cake mix, buttermilk, water, oil, eggs and cocoa. Beat with mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Add the food coloring and slowly, carefully beat with the mixer set on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour equally into pans. Tap each pan gently on counter to level batter and release air bubbles.
3. Bake cakes according to package directions. Cakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cakes from oven and place on wire racks. When the pans are cool enough to handle, remove the cakes from the pans and allow them to cool completely on wire racks.
4. Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting. With a mixer (or blender) set on medium speed, blend together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Turn mixer to low speed and blend in powdered sugar, a little at a time. Add vanilla extract. Turn mixer on high and beat until light and fluffy.
5. When the cakes are completely cooled, frost between each layer, top and sides of cake. If you want a 4 layered cake, carefully slice each cake cross-wise in half with a serrated knife before frosting. Sprinkle the cake with coconut and chopped pecans, if desired.
Return from Easy Red Velvet Cake to Home
Go to Box Cake Mix Recipes
Return to Red Velvet Cake Recipes