Date Cake Recipe
Make an old fashioned cake with this date cake recipe. An easy cake recipe, this self frosting cake eliminates the need to make additional frosting. As the cake bakes, the topping of brown sugar, pecans and chocolate chips melt together to make a sweet, nutty frosting.
Dates are one of the oldest fruits, growing along the Nile possibly as early as 4000 B.C. Dates are sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, and a good source of fiber.
This homemade cake recipe yields a large cake that can be cut into about fifteen servings.
Date Cake Recipe
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 1-2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 package (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine dates, baking soda and water. Stir to mix. Set aside and let cool.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to mix and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, with mixer set at medium speed, cream the shortening. Gradually add 1 cup of granulated sugar and beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture, alternately with the cooled date mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans and chocolate chips. Stir until well mixed and any clumps of brown sugar are broken up. Sprinkle evenly over top of batter.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares and enjoy.
Return to Easy Cake Recipes
Return from Date Cake Recipe to Easy Baking Recipes