Cranberry Nut Cake
Perfect for the holidays, this cranberry nut cake is sure to become a family favorite. Not an ordinary fruit cake, this moist cake is full of flavor. Loaded with cranberries and nuts, this cake is especially tasty when topped with the easy to make orange glaze.
If you want to make this holiday cake recipe an “adult cake”, soak the dried cranberries in 3/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of dark rum, brandy or cognac or an orange flavored liqueur like Grand Marnier or Triple Sec.
Cranberry Nut Cake Recipe
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 4 x 3-inch loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine water, cranberries and baking soda. Stir well. Set aside and let stand for 15 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, with mixer set at medium speed, cream butter. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating well. Add egg and beat well. Add flour mixture, alternately with cranberry mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix after each addition. Stir in vanilla and chopped pecans or walnuts. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
5. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a serving plate.
Orange Glaze Recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Combine powdered sugar, orange juice, orange zest and almond extract. Stir until well combined. If glaze is too thick, add a little additional orange juice. If glaze is too thin, add a little additional powdered sugar until desired consistency. Spoon the glaze over top and sides of cake.
Return to Easy Cake Recipes
Return from Cranberry Nut Cake to Easy Baking Recipes