Cake Decorating Buttercream Frosting
This cake decorating buttercream frosting is a homemade frosting that can be used for frosting the cake as well as making cake decorations.
Whether spreading the frosting with a spatula or making ornate decorations with a piping bag, this frosting will fit the bill.
The proper consistency of the frosting is the key to decorating a cake. The frosting must be firm enough to hold swirls and designs, yet pliable enough to mold. If the frosting seems too thin, stir in a small amount of sifted powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a little water.
When making this easy frosting recipe on warm or humid days, add a little extra powdered sugar so that the decorations will hold their shape. It is best to work quickly with buttercream frosting as the butter or margarine can soften from the heat of your hand as you pipe it.
This frosting can easily be colored with liquid or paste food coloring.
- 1 (1 pound) box powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 – 2 tablespoons light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Sift powdered sugar. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, with mixer set on medium speed, cream butter until fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar a little at a time, adding alternately with cream. Mix in vanilla and salt and beat until smooth and good consistency.
3. Place frosting in piping bag or spread with a spatula.
Return to How to make Frosting
Return from Cake Decorating Buttercream Frosting to Home