Easy Buttermilk Coffee Cake Recipe
This Buttermilk Coffee Cake Recipe is an easy coffee cake to make.
Thick, creamy fresh buttermilk makes this quick coffee cake moist and tender. Topped with cinnamon and sugar, it is the perfect sweet to have with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
This is a good coffee cake to make a day ahead as the flavors will mellow and taste even better the next day.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh buttermilk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Generously butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, with mixer set on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg. Slowly add buttermilk and mix well with a spoon or whisk. Set aside.
3. Measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and sift all into a medium bowl.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until well combined. The batter will be thick. Spread the batter into the baking pan evenly.
5. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon together. Generously sprinkle on top of the batter.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve buttermilk coffee cake warm or at room temperature.
Return to Easy Coffee Cake Recipes
Return from Buttermilk Coffee Cake Recipe to Home