Old Fashioned Applesauce Cake Recipe
Treat your family and friends to a tasty homemade cake with this applesauce cake recipe. An old fashioned cake, it has the warm spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice.
Making a cake from scratch is quick with this easy cake recipe. This apple sauce cake is mixed in one bowl, making preparation and clean up easy on the cook. Even the homemade cream cheese frosting is easy to make.
A moist cake recipe, raisins and nuts add extra flavor and texture to this yummy cake.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups warm applesauce, divided
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves. Stir well. Add brown sugar, 1 cup of applesauce, butter and eggs. Beat with mixer set on low speed for 1 minute or until mixture is well combined. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes. Add remaining 1 cup of applesauce, walnuts and raisins and stir until well blended. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
3. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and let cool completely in pan set on a wire rack.
4. To prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Beat with a mixer set on medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, a little at a time, beating until mixture is smooth. Spread frosting evenly on top of cooled cake.
Return to Easy Cake Recipes
Return from Applesauce Cake Recipe to Easy Baking Recipes