Red Velvet Cookies
Red Velvet Cookies are luscious soft cookies from cake mix that are sandwiched with fluffy homemade cream cheese filling.
This easy Southern red velvet whoopie pie recipe starts with a red velvet cake mix.
In this red velvet recipe, you do not have to fuss with red food coloring as the cake mix batter is already colored.
This red and white cookie is a perfect treat for Valentine’s Day or Christmas.
Yield: 1 dozen
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) Red Velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix cake mix, eggs and oil together. Roll dough into balls and place on cookie sheet. (A small ice cream scoop works well too). Flatten down slightly (depending on the thickness you desire).
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
4. Prepare cream cheese filling. In a medium bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until very soft. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Mix in vanilla and enough milk to make a good spreading consistency. Stir in pecans.
5. When cookies are completely cooled, spread filling on the flat side of half of the cookies. Put the unfrosted cookies, flat side down, on top of the frosted cookies. Refrigerate any remaining frosting and leftover cookies.
Return to Easy to make Cookies
Go to Box Cake Mix Recipes
Return from Red Velvet Cookies to Home