Easy Popover Recipe
Amaze your family and friends with this popover recipe. A favorite for breakfast as well as dinner, popovers are good any time.
Served for breakfast, these light rolls are delightful slathered with butter and jam. Served with meat dishes at lunch or dinner, they are the perfect rolls. Special enough to serve with any holiday meal, popovers, fresh from the oven add an extra touch to the bread basket.
Food historians generally agree that popovers are an American creation based on 17th century batter puddings made in England. Popovers are so named because the batter rises and pops over the sides of the baking cups when they are baked.
With this recipe for popovers, you only need four simple ingredients to make these light, hollow, muffin-like rolls. While they can be baked in a muffin pan, oven proof custard cups or ramekins produce the best results.
If you have never made popovers, you will be surprised how easy it is to make these elegant and delicious rolls with this easy quick bread recipe. If you have never tasted popovers, you are in for a real treat.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat oven proof custard cups or ramekins with cooking spray. Place custard cups on a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Stir to mix. Set aside.
3. In a separate small bowl, mix the eggs and milk together.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour and mix until ingredients are moistened. Pour the batter equally into prepared custard cups until each is 2/3rds full.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and popped up. Open the oven door for 2 to 3 minutes and reduce the oven heat to 325 degrees F. Close the oven door and bake for an additional 15 minutes to set the popovers so that they do not collapse. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Return to Easy Bread Recipes
Return from Popover Recipe to Easy Baking Recipes