Oatmeal Bar Cookie Recipe
This Oatmeal Bar Cookie recipe makes a quick and tasty treat that is filled with apples, sugar and cinnamon.
Good for a snack or even breakfast on the go.
Not only do these oatmeal bar cookies taste good, they are good for you. Scientific research has found that oats and apples may aid in providing a wide range of health benefits.
When making this easy bar cookie recipe, keep the apple slices from turning brown by tossing them in lemon juice, pineapple juice or lemon-lime soda.
Yield: 2 dozen
- 3 medium apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon or pineapple juice or lemon-lime soda
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal, uncooked
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Peel and core apples. Cut apples into thin slices. Pour lemon or pineapple juice over the slices and toss. Set aside.
3. Sift flour with salt into a large bowl. Add brown sugar. Using a pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions) cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is the size of small peas. Mix in oatmeal. Spoon half the mixture into baking pan and press it down firmly. Top with apple slices, spreading evenly. Sprinkle apples with sugar and cinnamon. Dot the apples with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and cover with remaining oatmeal mixture, pressing down lightly.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until slightly browned on top. Remove from oven and cool in pan on a wire rack. When completely cooled, cut into bars.
Return to Cookie Bar Recipes
Return to Easy Baking Recipes from Oatmeal Bar Cookie Recipe