Homemade Fruit Coffee Cake
With this versatile Fruit Coffee Cake recipe you can make many different delicious coffee cakes. Whether served for breakfast, brunch or even dessert, this homemade coffee cake is a breeze to make.
Starting with this basic, easy coffee cake recipe, you can vary the fruit to make all of your favorites. Using fresh fruit, canned fruit, canned fruit pie filling or fruit preserves, there is no limit to the flavors of breakfast coffee cake you can make.
When using fresh fruit, mix the fruit with a little flour before adding it to the batter. This will keep the fruit from sinking to the bottom. If using canned fruit, be sure to drain the fruit before adding to the batter.
You can even change the topping for your fruit coffee cake. Whether using a confectioner’s sugar glaze or a streusel topping, or both, adding a simple ingredient will change the texture and flavor.
Confectioner’s sugar glaze can have a different flavor by changing or adding just one ingredient. By substituting the milk with orange juice, lemon juice, apple juice or any other of your favorite juices, you will create a different flavored glaze. Substitute the vanilla extract with almond, lemon, or rum extract for even more variety.
For a variation of the streusel topping recipe, add cinnamon, brown sugar, nuts, coconut, oats, cookie crumbs, granola or dried fruits.
Basic Fruit Coffee Cake Recipe
Ingredients1-1/4 cups all purpose flour1/2 cup granulated sugar1 teaspoon baking powder1/4 teaspoon baking soda1/4 teaspoon salt1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted1/2 cup milk1 egg1 teaspoon vanilla extract1-1/2 – 2 cups fruit (fresh fruit, canned fruit (drained), canned fruit pie filling or fruit preserves)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. A fork works well for this. Add the melted butter, milk, egg and vanilla to the flour mixture. Beat with a spoon until well mixed. Pour the batter evenly into pan.
3. Spoon the fruit evenly over the batter.
4. If desired, make streusel topping recipe (below) and spoon over the fruit.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until coffee cake tests done. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
6. If desired, make confectioner’s sugar glaze and drizzle over warm fruit coffee cake.
Basic Confectioners Sugar Glaze
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix well. Drizzle glaze over warm coffee cake.
Substitute 2 tablespoons of lemon juice for the milk, add 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind.Orange Glaze:
Substitute 2 tablespoons of orange juice for the milk, add 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind.Eggnog Glaze:
Substitute 2 tablespoons of eggnog for the milk.Honey Glaze:
Add 2 tablespoons of honey.Rum Glaze:
Substitute 1-1/2 tablespoons of rum for the milk.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
In a small bowl, using a fork, combine the ingredients for the streusel topping. Stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the top of the batter in the pan.
Substitute 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar for granulated sugar.
Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
Add 1/2 cup quick cooking oats.
Add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts.
Add 1/2 cup cookie crumbs.
Add 1/2 cup granola.
Fruit Coffee Cake is just one of our delicious easy coffee cake recipes. Find them all here.
Return to Easy Baking Recipes