Easy Buttercream Frosting
Need an all purpose frosting? This easy buttercream frosting will fit the bill.
A good basic butter cream frosting recipe, it can be easily adjusted to make many different flavored frostings.
For Coffee buttercream frosting, beat 2 teaspoons of instant coffee powder into the butter along with the confectioners’ sugar.
To make Mocha buttercream frosting, add 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder and 2 (1-ounce) squares of melted unsweetened chocolate into the creamed butter before adding confectioners’ sugar.
If you want a nutty frosting, prepare butter cream frosting recipe as directed and when it is of good spreading consistency, mix in 1/2 cup of minced walnuts, pecans or almonds.
This buttercream frosting recipe makes enough frosting to fill and frost a 9-inch two layer cake or 24 cupcakes.
- 3-1/2 cups (1 - 1 pound box) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 5 to 6 tablespoons light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Sift confectioners’ sugar. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, cream the butter until fluffy.
3. Beat in confectioners’ sugar, a little at a time, adding alternately with cream.
4. Mix in vanilla and salt and beat until smooth and of good spreading consistency. If mixture seems too stiff, thin with a little additional cream.
Return to How to make Frosting
Return from Easy Buttercream Frosting to Home