Blueberry Cake Recipe
Enjoy a sweet treat with this blueberry cake recipe. A homemade cake recipe, the batter is ready for the oven in just a short time. While it takes a few extra minutes, beating the egg whites separately and folding them into the batter makes this cake especially light and fluffy.
Medical professionals agree that blueberries are good for you. They rank the highest of any fruit for antioxidants, are packed with Vitamin C and are a good source of fiber.
When adding fruit to the batter, it is always a good idea to dredge the fruit in a little flour. It keeps the fruit from clumping together and sinking to the bottom of the batter.
You can make this blueberry dessert any time of the year as fresh or frozen blueberries can be used.
Blueberry Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, with mixer set at medium speed, cream the butter. Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition.
4. In a separate bowl, with mixer set at high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into cake batter.
5. Dredge the blueberries in 2 teaspoons of flour and gently fold into batter. Pour the cake batter into prepared baking pan.
6. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely in pan. Cut the cake into squares and serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Return to Easy Cake Recipes
Return from Blueberry Cake Recipe to Easy Baking Recipes